The fatigue of our eyes is not only continuous work at the computer, chronic fatigue and lack of sleep, but many other factors
“Reds,” irritated and tired eyes recently – this is the lot of almost all residents of cities. The reasons can be different. First of all, this is due to the fact that most of us spend an enormous amount of time at the computer. We work at the computer, have fun, communicate. The image on the screen of the monitor, naturally, differs from the usual image: it is luminous, discrete, flickering, the text font is usually small, etc. And the fatigue that arises after working behind the monitor is also specific. To denote this state introduced even a new term – Computer Vision Syndrome.
His contribution to the development of computer visual syndrome, of course, also contributes to the fact that when working behind a monitor for a long period, the same type of load is retained for eyeballs.
But the fatigue of our eyes is not only continuous work at the computer, chronic fatigue and lack of sleep, but also many other factors.
For example, the so-called “dry” eyes – a phenomenon that occurs when the tear fluid is insufficiently formed. The cause may be fluctuations or changes in the hormonal background. This can occur for objective reasons in completely healthy people, more often women, after 40 years, and also against the background of taking various medications that affect the hormonal status of a person, and an unfavorable ecological situation.
The “dry” eyes can appear as the sensation of a foreign body (“sand” in the eyes), as if there is something in the eye, like difficulties in opening the eyes, sudden attacks of lacrimation, a feeling of dryness in the eyes.
In the arsenal of the ophthalmologist, there is an objective method that allows you to determine the amount of tear fluid released – the so-called Schirmer test. If this test proves that the cause of eye fatigue is insufficient formation of tear fluid, the doctor will recommend substitution therapy with artificial tear preparations. Such drugs do not contain medicinal active principles, but include only components that reproduce the composition of natural tears.
The cause of inflammation and fatigue of the eyes can be not only work with documents and a computer, but also cosmetics, cigarette smoke, weak or strong light, radiation, bright colors.
To restore vision, you need to leave your eyes alone, let them rest. To relieve fatigue and inflammation of the eyes, use the improvised means:
- Put on the skin under the eyes a piece of ice or a towel soaked in cold water;
- Moisten the eyelids with fresh cucumber juice;
- Apply a compress of chamomile or plain tea to your eyes;
- Alternately apply hot and cold cotton swabs moistened with sage infusion (1 teaspoon per half cup of boiling water);
- Just sleep well.
There are also a few simple exercises that will help relieve fatigue:
- The Butterfly. Often blink. It turns out that before the monitor the eyes are lazy and stop blinking, and this harms our eyesight.
- “Up and down”. Keep your head straight, do not tilt. Look straight ahead. Slowly look up at the ceiling, hold it for a couple of seconds, then slowly lower it to the floor and also hold it. The head remains stationary during the exercise.
- The Pendulum. Keep your head straight, look in front of you. Look to the left, then slowly look to the right. The head is still, work only with your eyes. During the exercise, watch the condition of the muscles of the eyeballs, do not overstrain them.
- The Eight. Keep your head straight, look in front of you. Mentally imagine a horizontal eight (or infinity sign) of the maximum size within your face and smoothly describe it with your eyes. Repeat the exercise several times one way, then the other. After that, often blink.
- “Dial”. Imagine before you a large dial of gold color, (scientists believe that this color helps restore vision). Carry out circular motions with eyeballs, leaving the head still.
- “Pencil”. Take the pencil in your right hand and pull it out, lifting the pencil at eye level. Look at the tip of the pencil and slowly take your hand to the right, then to the left, following the writing object with your eyes, but without moving your head.
- “Beautiful is far.” Go to the window and look into the distance, then to the tip of the nose – it trains the eye muscle. Repeat the exercise several times.
- “With wide eyes closed.” Close your eyes and try to describe an imaginary circle, then a horizontal eight, then a cross.
- “Bloomers”. A few times, close your eyes, then just close your eyes and sit
Picture Credit: Concord90